Some lessons I've learned:
- Healthy eating can be awesome if you mix it with the right things. Some people complain that salads aren't filling, if you add protein (chicken, steak, tofu, tuna, falafel), it can make all the difference. If it's too bland, try adding fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries, or pineapple.
- Even if you eat meat, try falafel! It is pretty much pattied, ground-up chickpeas. I had never heard of it before I started working here but it's definitely a game-changer.
- Quinoa is SO yummy! Did you know you can make it in a rice cooker? A cup of quinoa tossed in with field greens and spinach (or any lettuce for that matter) is also a good mix-up for your salad. It is a great substitute for rice.
- Homemade is always better, always.
- Asking for your salad tossed with light dressing is better than dressing on the side.
- Hardwork is SO satisfying!
- Everyone should have to work in food at least once, it gives you a whole new level of respect. If things are going a little slow because the restaurant is packed, give them a break! They're trying their best to give you quality, fresh food that you paid for. Also, be nice! It goes a long way and can really brighten someone's day.
My experience with Freshii has been awesome. I began working at the store about a week before it was opened and I have nothing but great reviews. The atmosphere is hip and new, made to give people good food that energizes. Everyone I've worked with has been young, many still in high school, and it's such a great feeling to have everyone you're working with so positive and full of life. It is awesome to see so many regulars come in, and newbies talking about how nice it is to see a healthy food place. I have found a new love for juicing as well as other fresh foods. Plus, it isn't so bad that a Dutch Bros Coffee opened up next door (literally... you walk out the side door and it's three feet away.) I encourage you all to start embracing new superfoods and go out of your comfort zone.